Monday, July 09, 2007

Energy Boost Recipes -- Mom's Meatloaf

I don't about you but I do not have the time or energy to start all over from scratch in the kitchen. Then it came to me - I don't have to!

In brief - I need to add more fiber - more fruit - more veggies into our diet without driving me - she who does all the shopping, cooking and prep- insane. Then it hit me - why don't I add more of the good stuff into what we are already eating & enjoying ...

Here is my first concoction! My mother's favorite Meatloaf Recipe -- then and now.

* Then * * NOW *
1 lb lean hamburger
1 or 2 eggs
big slush ketchup substituted with an herbed salsa
1 cup corn flakes
big slush milk deleted - no dairy on this cleanse!
fine chopped onions & garlic added extra garlic + 1 cup of chopped zucchini + fresh corn off the cob + 2 TBSP Flax Seed
salt & pepper to taste
top with a coat of ketchup topped with the salsa + 2 TBSP wheat germ

cook about 1 hour @ 350

There you have it. A healthy, simple system you can easily incorporate into your kitchen and liftestyle. Let me know what you cook up. Can post your favorite recipes modifications here to share with the gang? e-mail me at: Viveca@FatigueBeGone.com

1 comment:

Jan from BetterSpines said...

I just love meatloaf. It's good to add plain (not quick-cook) rolled oats too. I never thought of using salsa instead of the ketchup. What about pesto?